Season Reviews 1 of 10

1. 2017

The season started way back on 15th April as the 1st XI picked up a friendly victory at South Woodford thanks to excellent knocks from Alex Kirkpatrick, on debut, and Nicky Ison. (Photos) The following day saw a defeat for the Sunday 2nd XI at Harlow Town despite an excellent innings from Adam Quested who made 96.

The following Saturday, the 1st XI overcame the excesses of the previous night’s Pre Season Dinner to overcome Epsom by 15 runs, Alan Ison leading the way with a wonderful 101. Sunday and it was Julian Whetstone bringing up his first century of the season, as his 118 not out meant the first competitive fixture of the season ended with an Upminster win as North Middlesex were dispatched by seven wickets in the National Cup. Meanwhile the Sunday 2s picked up their first win of the season, against Theydon Bois, with half centuries for Nicky Ison and Adam Quested leading them to a 73 run win.

The pace of the action picked up further the following weekend (29th and 30th April) and the 1st XI produced one of their best performances for years to overcome Brentwood in the League Cup at Upminster Park. Shahbaz and Alan Ison led the way with the bat to help the home side post 256-5 before Matt Tigg tore through the visitor’s top order. James Redwood, Max Osborne and Charlie Griffiths fought back for Brentwood but Nicky Ison held his nerve in the final overs as Upminster won by nine runs. The 2nd XI started their campaign with a thrilling one run win over Brentwood in a friendly, Billy Wright with three wickets, while the 3rd XI lost their opening friendly at Wanstead, by seven runs, despite a half century from Rob Waghorn.

The Sunday League side started in fine form dispatching Gidea Park and Romford by eight wickets, Louis Pickering with three wickets and Paul Middlemiss with an unbeaten 58, while the 2nd XI were well beaten by Potter Street & Church Langley despite an excellent innings from Andrew Berry.

Louis Pickering and Shahbaz were in the runs at Old Brentwoods as the 1st XI eased through to the next round of the League Cup on the 6th May. Matt Tigg and Julian Whetstone picked up three wickets apiece in an 81 run success. Back at Upminster Park, Farid and Alfie James piled up the runs for the home side in their friendly fixture against the same opponents, before Jack O’Dowd spun his side to an early finish with four wickets. 63 from Paul Middlemiss and three wickets from Tom Daniels helped the 3rd XI brush aside Oakfield Parkonians, while young and old combined for the 4th XI as they thrashed Gidea Park and Romford. Michael Larke and Josh Lamont were in the runs while Kevin Roome and Ollie Woods did the damage with the ball.

63 from Jordan Tigg was not enough for the Sunday League side the next day as they contrived to lose by eight runs to STMCC, and there was also defeat for the Sunday 2nd XI, at Oakfield Parkonians, despite 83 from Scott Fisher.

SNEL action finally got underway on 13th May, but it was a poor start for the 1st XI as they were thrashed at Chingford, 33 from Shabaz not enough to stop them being bowled out for 110. Brother Farid was in fine form at Upminster Park as his 110 helped Upminster to reach 243-9 against Shenfield, but the visitors stood firm to secure the draw, finishing on 159-7. A fine all round performance helped the 3rd XI to an opening day win at Hutton, while Ant Lim (59) and Karim Govani (five wickets) helped the 4th XI to see off Orsett and Thurrock. Captain Scott Fisher starred with bat and ball as the 5th XI beat Loughton, but the 6th XI fell to defeat against Walthamstow despite the efforts of George Sadek (52).

Sunday saw the 1st XI exit the National Cup at Wanstead despite a gutsy performance, particularly from Shaffiq and Alan Ison, while a weakened Sunday League side were defeated by Goresbrook, despite a wonderful unbeaten 81 from Kiran Kullar.

Week 2 of the league season did not see any improvement for the 1st XI as they were heavily beaten by an Ahmed Zaidi inspired Ilford at Valentines Park, while at Upminster Park the wet weather meant an abandonment for the 2nd XI in their game with Brentwood. Rain also played a part at Coopers as the 3rd XI drew with Wanstead, four wickets for Mark Schofield, while Rob Bannister starred with bat and ball as the 4th XI made it two from two with a four wicket win at Gidea Park. The 5th XI game at Ilford was another victim of the weather, while Ian Twine and Ryan Brown helped the 6th XI to a draw in their local derby with Hornchurch 5s. Brown’s performance was the highlight of the day though, as his performance included his first ever hat-trick!!!

Sunday saw the first T20 action of the season with a double header at Upminster Park. Chingford were dispatched with ease by the home side, but Wanstead proved just to strong and edged to a five wicket win in game two.

The third week of SNEL action saw the 1st Team pick up their first league win with another stunning performance against Brentwood. John Curtis took four wickets to help restrict Brentwood to 232-8 before Shahbaz and Julian Whetstone piled up a huge opening partnership in reply. When Whetstone fell for 84 Shabaz continued to reach a brilliant century and was joined by Shaffiq who made an unbeaten 40 as Upminster won by nine wickets. The 2nd XI also got off the mark as 78 from Farid helped them to a nine wicket win at Buckhurst Hill, while the 3rd XI ended the month in second place after success at Woodford Wells. Mark D’Cruz struck seven times to help restrict Wells before unbeaten half centuries from Elliot Bussey and Adam Quested saw Upminster home without any alarms. It was a wonderful afternoon for Alex Halliwell as he made his maiden century (109) as the 4th XI had the better of a draw with Hornchurch, while the 5th XI fell to a slender six run defeat against Shenfield despite four wickets for Michael Jones. The 6th XI ended the month with their second successive draw, mainly thanks to the bowling of Brian Martin and the batting of Max Gordon.

Sunday saw the 2nd XI friendly with Rainham washed out at the halfway stage, while Bank Holiday Monday saw the Windmill Whack swing back into action. In Game 1 holders and favourites the Chairman’s Choice comfortably saw off the Apple Finance Firebirds, but Game 2 was a lot tighter affair as the Root 66ers needed “overseas” star Andrew Kennedy to see them to a five wicket win, with just one ball to spare, in their game against the Kalijeera Kings.

Week 4 of the league season saw some mixed results. The 1st XI faced Shenfield at Upminster Park on Saturday who reached a total of 251-8. The Upminster reply never got going and at tea they looked set for defeat. Alex Kirkpatrick had other ideas as he batted for an astonishing 174 balls to make 72 not out, and with support from Tigg and then Curtis made a draw 9 wickets down. The 2nd XI fell to a loss at Woodford Wells despite more runs for Farid Butt. The 3rd XI picked up had a hard fought win over Hainault and Clayhall at Coopers. Andrew Berry taking 5-33 as Hainault were hustled out for 123. In reply wickets fell but 51 not out from Paul Middlemiss saw them to a six wicket win. Skipper Josh Lamont was the all round hero for the 4th XI as they won again against Colchester at Castle Park. Lamont picked up three wickets and helped steer the side home batting. The 5th XI drew with West Essex 8 down Rafe Smallman made 72 for the 5s. The 6s fell to defeat at Gidea Park, Casey Adams 52 was the only score of note aof just 113 by Gidea Park 4s.

It was cup heartache for Upminster on the Sunday as they lost by one wicket to Southend in the League Cup Quarter Final. Louis Pickering and Matt Tigg helped recover from a woeful start to reach 168. Southend looked in control but John Curtis and Matt Tigg sparked a collapse and when the ninth wicket fell Southend still needed 10 more for victory. The last pair scrambled the required runs though to send Southend into the last four. Ryan Brown made his maiden half century for the Club as the Sunday 2nd XI tied their game with Orsett and Thurrock both sides scoring 135.

League week 5 saw the odd number teams struggle. The 1st XI fell to a comprehensive defeat against Southend as batting first subsided to 89 all out. The Whetstone brothers took a wicket each but Southend cruised home by eight wickets. The 2nd XI put in their best performance of the season to overcome Ilford making 221-9 from their 50 overs. In reply Ollie Peck (4-16) and Terry Wyatt (3-40) tbowled Ilford out for 99. The 3rd XI fell to their first defeat of the season at Brentwood Arun Kullar (5-36) dismissed Brentwood for 159. Upminster were then blown away in their reply and were 74-9 however, Scott Fisher (50*) and Karim Govani put on 56 for the last wicket before Govani's dismissal confirmed a 27 run defeat. It was a fourth win for the 4th XI as they eased past Walthamstow. 62 from Steve Limn the star in a 5 wicket win. The 5th XI fell to defeat to Wanstead at Campion. The 5s were shout out for just 136 and Wanstead then cruised home by five wickets. The 6th XI picked up a creditable draw with Chingford 4s. Chingford scoring 257-5 before declaring early, with Mohammad Shabab making 157 not out in just 39 overs. In reply Upminster's youngsters dug in and held on for the draw at 55-6.

On the Sunday there were Games 3 and 4 of the Windmill Whack which resulted in victories for the Hunter Hurricanes and Govani Maestros on a blustery afternoon at Upminster Park. Game 3 saw the Root 66ers make 128-3. Harry Jenkins led the way with 50 and he received good support from Janhoi Bean Wilson who made 36. Sam Twine picked up two victims as the Hurricanes chased down their target, but an unbeaten 43 from Matt Tigg saw the newly formed franchise to a five wicket win with nine balls to spare. Game 4 saw the Firebirds reach 158/3 thanks to James Evans (45), Louis Pickering (50)and Nicky Ison (44). The Maestros saw Alan Ison and James Redwood both make 50 to retire, but the firebirds hit back before Connor Whetstone remained calm to earn maestros victory.

League week 6 saw seven sides put out for the first time in the season as the games changed to limited over format. The 1st XI traveled to Colchester who reached 326-8 from their 50 overs. Wickets fell regularly in reply and it was left to Will Chuter to smash 51 from 43 balls to earn an extra batting pointin a total of 214. The 2s also faced Colchester in the reverse fixture runs between Farid, Shafiq Rahman, Nick O'Dell and Terry Wyatt helped the score to 287/7. In reply Peck took 4 more wickets in a 46 run win. There was a thrilling finish in the 3rd XI game at Buckhurst Hill as Upminster lost out by 8 runs. The 4th XI moved 30 points clear at the top of their division, with a 10 wicket win over Wanstead 5s. Karim Govani (5-11)shining with the ball again. The 5th XI overcame Buckhurst Hill at Campion. Youngster Ryan Brown picking up 5-17 as Hill were dismissed for 133. Paul Stratton (58) and Stewart Hammond (32*) securing a 5 wicket victory. The 6s fell to defeat at Oakfield Parkonians by 2 wickets despite 88 from George Sadek and 4 wickets for Casey Adams.
The 7th XI's first game of the season ended in defeat at Aztecs. Aztecs reached 240, despite two wickets each for Matthew Bright and David Brown. the 7s were all out for 119 with Brown top scoring with 24.

Midweek action saw Game 5 of the Windmill Whack as the Chairmans Choice defeated Govani Maestros by 27 runs. Shahbaz (50), Tom billinghurst (46) and Terry Wyatt (45) saw choice score 186/4. Nathan Woods hit 49 for the Maestros in their reply of 159/7

League week 7 saw important wins, the 1s shocked league leaders Chelmsford. Louis Pickering (97) and Shafiw Rahman (50) put on 145 to help the 1s make 245 before being dismissed in the last of their 50 overs. Chelmsford started their reply in positive fashion but Rahman (5-25) starred with the ball dismisseing Chelmsford for 163. The 2nd XI fell to defeat in the reverse fixture at Chelmer Park despite Farid hitting 61 in a total of 254-8. Chelmsford chased with overs and 6 wickets to spare. The 3rd XI game was insignificant after injury to Oliver White which required hospital treatment, Chelmsford were far ahead in the game so were awarded the win. The 4th XI suffered their first defeat of the season against Ilford 3s, but there was a win for the 5th XI against Fives and Heronians. Ollie Woods, Kevin Roome and Aalok Latey picked up three wickets dismissing Fives just 57. In reply Upminster slipped to 9-4 but Casey Adams and captain Scott Fisher saw them home without further alarm. There was also a first win of the season for the 6th XI as they overcame Harlow Town to pick up 20 points. The Calders, Ray and Ben, all made important contributions as Upminster made 181-9 from their 40 overs. Dave Brown, Ben Hamberger, Alex Fisher and Matther Bright then shared the wickets as Town were shot out for 91.

The Sunday League side defeated Belhus thanks to 53 from Josh Lamont and four wickets from Julian Whetstone. 13 year old Ellis Pickering made his maiden senior half century (73) as the Sunday 2nd XI lost out in a a friendly in Rayleigh.

Game 6 of the Windmill Whack saw a thriller between the Kings and Hunter Hurricanes. Batting first the Hurricanes could only make 121/7 thanks to Michael Larke (52*) and Shafiq Rahman (21). Despite early wickets the Kings looked to be chasing the total until a combined bowling spell of 6/13 by Jack O'Dowd and Michael Jones which included the Kings star players and a 7 run victory for the Hunter Hurricanes

After finishing June with a win against eventual champions Chelmsford, hopes were high for July. However, they were bought back down to earth on the 1st July with a heavy defeat at Wanstead. Arfan Akram and Hassan Chowdhury both made centuries as the home side piled up 315-5 from their 50 overs. Connor Whetstone picked up four wickets for the visitors. In reply several batsmen got starts, most notably Shaffiq Rahman who made 55, but it was not enough as Upminster were bowled out for 181.

A week later and a poor batting display against old rivals Hornchurch plunged Upminster into deeper relegation trouble. Julian Whetstone’s 28 was the top score as Matt Tigg’s side were bundled out for 156 before 66 from Brian Barnard steered the Urchins to a seven wicket win.

A mid month win was much needed against Chingford and it duly arrived after fine innings from Shahbaz (94) and Louis Pickering (58) helped take Upminster to 253-7. Connor Whetsone then ran through Chingford’s middle order, taking 4-35, and although Chingford’s last pair put up some resistance they closed on 210-9 as Upminster won by 43 runs.

The weather caused frustration on the final two Saturdays of the month. The home game with Ilford was a complete washout, and after making 187 at Brentwood a week later, the rain came to wipe out the second innings.

In contrast, the 2nd XI enjoyed a fine July, although the month started with a defeat. Kiran Kullar made an imperious 77 but received little support as Ollie Peck’s men were dismissed for 159 by Wanstead. Wanstead were then cruising to victory before Max Carter-Miller and Nicky Ison picked up a flurry of wickets, but Wanstead squeezed home by two wickets.

Kullar was in the runs again the following week as Peck’s side swept past Loughton. The captain himself picked up a five wicket haul as Loughton made 179, before Kullar then made 61, and with help from Adam Quested and Harry Jenkins, Upminster won by seven wickets. They made it two wins in two weeks in their next outing against Shenfield. Martin Allen, not of West Ham fame, struck a marvellous 102 for Shenfield as they made 249-5 from their 45 overs, and despite several Upminster batsmen making starts they looked out of the game with 10 overs remaining. However, Adam Quested and Nathan Woods had other ideas and their partnership turned the game on it’s head as Upminster won by two wickets with two balls to spare.

Rain stopped them making it three wins in three the week after as the game with Brentwood was washed out, but they picked up their third win of the month on July’s final weekend. James Evans made a brilliant 108 not out, and Kiran Kullar struck 53 as Upminster posted a commanding total before rain interrupted the Buckhurst Hill reply and Upminster won by virtue of a better run rate.

The 3rd XI began July with two wins in a row, and the first of those was down to the all-round skills of Mark Schofield. “Schoi” took 6-53 as Harlow were restricted to 192, before striking a brilliant 102 not out to guide Upminster to a seven wicket win. Nickhil Mayor also made an excellent 40. A week later and Shenfield were brushed aside as Andrew Berry’s 4-8 saw them bowled out for 160. Mayor then made 55, and with help from Steve Limn, Schofield and Jake Giddings Upminster raced to an eight wicket win from just 19.5 overs.

Just as talk of a possible title challenge began the side were bought crashing back down to earth with a defeat against bottom of the table Hutton. A lacklustre bowling and fielding display allowed Hutton to make 199-8 from their 45 overs before Upminster fell to 31-7 in reply. Rob Mack and Paul Middlemiss mended some of the damage with a century stand but they were bowled out for 138 to fall to a 61 run loss. The final two matches of the month were then washed out. Firstly the away game at Wanstead where the visitors were 119-2 when the rain came and then the home game with Woodford Wells where a close finish was in prospect before conditions got to bad to continue.

The 4th XI moved nearer to the title after starting the month with two fine victories. Jake Giddings made his maiden senior ton, a brilliant unbeaten 112, in the contest against Harlow at the start of the month, and with Steve Limn adding 88 and Tom Larke taking four wickets Upminster cruised to a 59 run win. A week later and a real team batting display (six players going past 20) enabled Josh Lamont’s side to reach 244-6 against Old Southendians. Veteran Karim Govani then picked up four wickets to bowl out the Old Boys for 129.

Orsett and Thurrock proved to strong the following week as they won by 92 runs, and the game with Gidea Park and Romford was then washed out. The month finished with a disappointing performance against Hornchurch. Only Ant Limn and Alex Halliwell made an impression with the bat before Hornchurch strolled to a six wicket win.

The 5th XI started the month with a five wicket win over Belhus, thanks to an excellent 51 not out from Tom Daniels, but were well beaten the following week as 33 from captain Scott Fisher was not enough to stop a powerful Brentwood side picking up a deserved win. The third Saturday of the month saw another defeat, this time to Loughton, as three wickets from Matthew Bright and 47 from Mark Hoptop were not quite enough as they lost by 13 runs. The month finished with two abandonments, against Ilford and Shenfield, to leave the side in mid table moving into August.

July was an excellent month for the 6th XI as they completed their fixtures unbeaten!! Captain Ray Calder and Max Gordon were the heroes with the bat as the team began the month with a thrilling one wicket over Chingford, and they followed this up the next week with a six wicket win over Hornchurch thanks to 60 from Mark Hortop and 33 from Ian Munn. Week three of July saw Brian Martin take 5-9 as Harold Wood were rolled out for 109 before Michael Jones and Ben Hamberger rescued the Upminster innings and took their side to a two wicket win. The following week’s game with Gidea Park and Romford was washed out before the month finished with a friendly win over Oakfield Parkonians after Walthamstow conceded the league fixture.

The highlight of the month was the 1st XI’s stunning performance against Hornchurch in the T20 Semi Finals at Billericay CC. Batting first Shahbaz got Upminster off to a fine start with 50 from 27 balls before Alan Ison took over, smashing the ball to all parts as he made 76 from 38 balls and helped his side to 190-3. John Curtis struck early in the Hornchurch reply, and despite 67 from Ronnie Saunders, Hornchurch were never in the game, closing on 145-6. The final against Wanstead was one game to far for Matt Tigg’s men as they were beaten by 102 runs.

In the Sunday League there was a comfortable win over Buckhurst Hill, before two washouts , both on the same day, against Bardoli and Chelmsford.
Matt Peters 88 was the highlight of a Sunday 2s defeat to Woodford Green before Josh Mason produced one of the performances of the season to help the side to a win over Orsett and Thurrock. Nicky Ison and Mark Hortop had made half centuries to help Upminster to 217-4 and the game was moving towards a tight finish when Mason was bought back into the attack. He then struck three times in three balls to claim the first hattrick of his career and help his side to a 22 run win.

The Windmill Whack moved towards the conclusion of the group stage with several games taking place. The Club’s first Fun Day saw the Kalijeera Kings pick up a shock win over the Chairman’s Choice while Ben Calder’s 76 was the highlight of the Roots 22 run win over the Govani Maestros. Louis Pickering made 51 as the Apple Finance Firebirds beat the Kings to keep alive their hopes of making Finals Day and the Choice then bounced back to form, seeing off the Hunter Hurricanes in a low scoring thriller. The Roots Finals Day prospects were then left in the balance as they fell to a heavy defeat against the revitalised Firebirds.

August was a month to forget for the 1s as they played their final time matches and returned to all day games. In their overs game against Shenfield runs for Shahbaz (68) and Connor Whetstone (49) set a target of 225. The Upminster bowling tore through the Shenfield top order reducing them to 79/6. Ryan Plom (75*) and Tom Ballington (50*) rebuilt to gain a 3 wicket victory. Next week in the final overs game Southend bowled the 1s out for 196, 4 batsman passed 25 but none were able to get to 50. John Curtis took 3/18 in reply as the 1s fell to another 3 wicket defeat. The return to all day games saw more runs for Shahbaz (68) at Colchester but only 163 in total. Julian Russell hitting 93* in a 7 wicket victory.
Chelmsford made up for their defeat earlier in the season dismissing the 1s for 89, Nicky Ison took 3/18 as Chelmsford chased the total 4 wickets down.

The 2nd XI had a excellent August claiming 4 wins out of 4. Andrew Berry, Ollie Peck & Nicky Ison all took 3 wickets in skittling Woodford Wells for 118. Kiran Kullar scored 42* in a 7 wicket victory. Ison starred with bat (30) and ball (3/36) against Ilford in a 30 run victory
Captain Oliver Peck starred with 4/8 against Colchester whilst Frank Hazle scored 41 in a 6 wicket victory. The 2s win against Chelmsford was the closest as the 2s fell to 119/8 chasing the 169 set by Chelmsford. A 50 run partnership by Will Chuter and Jack O’Dowd took the 2s to a unbeaten August

The 3rd XI had a mixed month losing their first two games and winning the last two
Against Hainault & Clayhall only Josh Lamont (42) got runs, Mark D’Cruz (4/27) made Hainault work hard in a 4 wicket win. Nikhil Mayor (59) and Peter Thompson (56) helped set a total of 172 against Brentwood for who Paul Degg took 4/32. In reply the 3s were in control before Degg (56) changed the game. Arun Kullar got the 3s back on track taking 5 wickets against Buckhurst Hill who were out for 96. The 3s lost 6 wickets chasing the total down. 3s captain Rob White took 4/39 as Chelmsford were bowled out cheaply for 128, the 3s chased the total for 6 wickets.

The 4s confirmed promotion in a unbeaten month. Walthamstow were bowled out for 116 with Nathan Bright (3/25) starring. In reply Steve Limn scored 50 in a 5 wicket victory
Ellis Pickering (36*) and Ant Limn (36) helped bat out for a crucial draw against Wanstead 5s. Karim Govani took 6 wickets in a 3 wicket win against Ilford

The 5s had a mixed month with the highlight a low scoring 1 wicket win against West Essex. Kevin Roome and Ollie Woods took wickets in victory against Wanstead 6s. Brian Martin took his maiden Upminster 5fer in a draw vs Buckhurst Hill Debutant Nigel Occleshaw hit 50 not out in defeat vs Fives and Heronians.

The 6th XI had a disappointing month as they were bowled out for 76 & 113 in their first games of the month. In the game against Hutton 5s Hutton scored 252/6 despite 5/38 for Faheem Sarfraz. At 51/6 a thrashing looked likely before Ben Hamberger hit his maiden century scoring 103 before falling to Hutton captain Paul Frame who took 5/53
Sunday cricket saw a Sunday league defeat against Waltham and friendly win for the 2nd XI at East Hanningfield

August saw further Windmill Whack matches with the final group games seeing wins for the Govani Maestros against the Kings and the Hunter Hurricanes against the Apple Financial Firebirds meaning the group stage finished with Chairmans Choice top and Hunter Hurricanes to face Govani Maestros in the play off for the final.
In the Play Off the Maestros batted first scoring 132 thanks to 46* from Kiran Kullar and 36 from Josh Lamont. The Hurricanes crept over the line to reach the final with 6 balls to spare
In the Final Chairmans Choice scored 132/9 setting the Hurricanes 133. 1st XI skipper Matt Tigg reached the 50 retirement mark whilst the experience of Shafiq Rahman and Glen Noller saw a maiden win against last seasons champions.

After a difficult season the 1st XI's relegation from the Premier Division was confirmed after defeat to Wanstead in their final home game of the season, but the side showed enough fight and ability in defeat to suggest they will be back in the not to distant future. John Curtis, Julian Whetstone and Alex Kirkpatrick reduced the league leaders to 85-5 but half centuries from Joe Ellis-Grewal, of the Chairman's Choice, and Adan Akram helped the visitors to post 245-7. Upminster crumbled to 65-7 in reply but Alan Ison and Farid Butt led the fightback and took Upminster to 145 before Aron Nijjar and Ellis-Grewal (6-74) bowled them out for 171.

The final game of the season saw the weather ruin the local derby against Hornchurch at Harrow Lodge Park. The home side had reached 128-5 after a delayed start before another shower ended the season for both sides, and saw Upminster end the year at the bottom of the Premier Division.

The 2nd XI still had hopes of a top two finish as the season entered September, and when Nicky Ison and skipper Ollie Peck picked up four wickets each to bowl out Wanstead (currently sitting in second place) for 181 that possibility remained. However, no batsman made more than 22 in the Upminster reply and they were bowled out for 132 to slip to a 49 run defeat. Peck's side were also defeated on the final day, in a topsy turvy affair against Loughton at Upminster Park. Nathan Woods and Harry Jenkins were in the runs as the home side declared on 183-3...............after just 19 overs. Loughton lost early wickets in reply but with eight home bowlers used the visitors scrambled to a two wicket win. The defeat didn't stop the 2nd XI claiming a third place finish.

Rob White's 3rd XI picked up a win over Harlow on week 17, in a low scoring thriller at Coopers School. White picked up three wickets, as did Ellis Pickering, as Harlow were skittled out for just 71, before the home slumped to 41-5 in reply!! White and the evergreen Rob Mack steadied the ship however, and saw Upminster to a five wicket win. Their final game of the season, against Shenfield, was washed out and White's side finished the season in an excellent fourth position.

Josh Lamont's 4th XI knew their destiny was in their own hands as the season entered the final two weeks. The experience of Rob Bannister and the Limn Brothers, Steve and Ant, helped them to 221-8 at Harlow, and although the home side hung on for a draw at 168-9 it meant Upminster went into their final game needing just four points to seal the Division Two title. They won the toss and decided to bat at Old Southendians and it was fitting that the captain and vice captain were at the crease as the points needed for the championship were sealed. Lamont went on to make 68 in a total of 210 before Tom Larke picked up 6-30 to spin out the Old Boys for 105 and finish the season in style.

The 5th XI's final home game of the season ended in heavy defeat to Fives and Heronians, despite a fine 50 from Nigel Occleshaw, but they did finish in style with a five wicket win over Brentwood on the final day. Aalok Latey took 5-27 as Brentwood were bowled out for 104, and although Upminster looked in trouble in reply Rafe Smallman made an assured 48 to see his side home. It left the 5th XI in a respectable 5th place finish.

The 6th XI ended an excellent season with two defeats. At Oakfield Parkonians they looked set for victory after dismissing the home side for 103, but they then slumped to 28 all out, with only Max Gordon making double figures. Their batting was found wanting the following week as well as they were dismissed for 89 at Harlow Town, and despite four wickets from Brian Martin they fell to a two wicket defeat and ended the season in 7th place.

The final action of the season saw the Benefit Match with Essex affected by the weather. Essex made 205-8 with Aron Nijjar making 53 before Conor Whetstone and Frankie Hazle kept Upminster in the hunt for victory. John Curtis needed three from the final ball, bowled by Upminster U9 captain Ross Taylor, but could only manage two as the game ended in a tie.